Skills, Awards, and Other Details
I have a rather diverse set of skills that share three common elements: words, boats, and a water view.
- Feature writing Award-winning stories about boats, boating adventures, and waterfront personalities
- Boat knowledge Expert on sailing, sailboats, and the boating industry
- Editing I have a sharp eye for typos and can almost always make a story more concise and readable.
- Blog writing In addition to posting for clients, I’ve maintained Where Books Meet Boats since 2009.
- Novels 3 published books
- Graphic design/layout Proficiency in Photoshop, InDesign
- WordPress knowledge
- 1st place Boating Writers International 2017 Annual Writing Contest, in the Boating Issues, News and Analysis category (read The Trump Card)
- 1st place Boating Writers International 2014 Annual Writing Contest, in the Boating Adventures category (read Olympic Broach: The No Good Very Bad Windiest Day)
- 2nd place Boating Writers International 2014 Annual Writing Contest, in the Boating Lifestyles category (read Simple Boating: Which is More Fun, Kayak or SUP?)
Recent Sailing Victories
- Self-educating and self-motivated. No babysitting required.
- Internationally recognized by the sailing world, especially among the dinghy and Olympic crowd
- Member of the 2004 US Olympic Team and US Sailing Team 2001-2007
- Member of the Olympic Sailing Committee 2005-2016
- Active Snipe sailor and editor of SnipeToday
Things you might not know about me
- My best morning starts off with brainstorming sentences during a sunrise standup paddleboard session.
- My favorite work week challenges me to learn something new and to use more than one skill set.
- My favorite cruising grounds are Maine, Cape Cod, and of course the Caribbean.
- I sailed across the Atlantic in 1986.
- I don’t really like sailing by myself, but it’s better than not going sailing at all.
- My favorite pets are other people’s cats.